Alcoholism is a problem that most adults in the US face. According to research, more than 30 percent of adult Americans have abused or depended on alcohol at some points in their lives. Addiction is a problem that still most people experience and some of them can’t function without alcohol in their system. To deal with the negative side effects of addiction, alcoholics have to undergo alcohol detox. This article provides details of self-alcohol detox at home.
What Is Alcohol Detox?
It’s a process of getting rid of all the alcoholic toxins in the body. Alcohol detox is normally done to treat addiction. The process usually marks the end of drinking alcohol and the beginning of treatment. The detox process is associated with various physical symptoms as a result of withdrawal.
How To Do Safely Detox At Home From Alcohol
A self-detox process at home takes about 4 days to one week depending on the level of severity. For this process to be successful, you need to understand various phases of detox as well as the withdrawal process. This helps you to know what you should expect. In order to safely do alcohol detox at home, below are the stages that will be involved.
- 1st stage: Usually begins about eight hours after your last alcohol drink. This stage is normally characterized by abdominal pain, nausea, insomnia, and anxiety. Some people may experience appetite loss, sweating, mild tremors, foggy thinking etc.
- 2nd Stage: It happens 24 – 72 hours after your last drink. Often involves increased heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature. The person may end up feeling confused and mild hallucinations at some points.
- 3rd stage: Begins on the third day after your last drink. Usually involves agitation, hallucinations, fever, and disorientation. In case the withdrawal is severe, a person may end experiencing seizures or delirium tremens.
The Purpose Of Home-Based Alcohol Detox
Medical facilities won’t admit alcoholics unless their withdrawal side effects have reached a certain level. The medical history of the alcoholic has to be checked to review previous episodes of withdrawal and its current severity. Besides that, most facilities will only admit an alcoholic after they have finished their detox and the withdrawal phase. Anything less than that means that the individual isn’t stable enough to benefit from clinical addiction treatment.
Types Of Alcohol Detox
For an alcohol detox process to be successful, there is a need to have a plan. This involves getting to know various types of alcohol detox programs. There are multiple options for alcohol detox which depend on the withdrawal’s severity and how long you’ve been drinking.
The Inpatient Treatment
It involves getting admitted into a treatment facility. Inpatient treatment means that you will have access to medical assistance around the clock. This type of treatment is usually administered to people who have struggled with alcoholism for a long period of time or an alcoholic who has consumed large alcohol amounts.
Outpatient treatment is usually given to people whose addiction isn’t severe. It involves visiting the treatment center occasionally during the detox process. Majority of the time will be spent at home detoxing using the prescribed medication.
Although this isn’t usually advised, self-detox can be done at home. Self-detox treatment involves the tapering-off option or going cold turkey. Note the self-detox without medical or professional assistance can be very painful. Home self-detox can also be used to treat alcohol poisoning and it usually resolves within a couple of days.
Alcohol Detox Process
The process of alcohol detox is vital in determining the method of treatment. Besides that, the process will help you to easily transition into addiction treatment without any difficulty. There are three main steps that are involved in the alcohol detox process:
First, a step that involves gathering important information that will be used for treatment. The evaluation process involves an assessment of medical and psychological well-being. The alcoholic’s social situation is also reviewed and blood tests are also done.
It’s a psychological and medical assessment that helps to treat severe withdrawal or intoxication. Stabilization involves proper diet, familiarizing with various treatment options as well as medications which will help to ease the withdrawal symptoms.
It’s the final step before you go into a drug addiction treatment. The transitioning process will help you to know which type of treatment you will use and the aftercare process. There are many programs which are designed to help you to transition into treatment.
Pros And Cons Of Home Detox
Note the detox process is useful in cleansing the body of alcohol. When it’s done at home, it provides a cost-effective solution. Medical and drug treatment facilities usually charge a lot of money for alcohol detox and a home detox will help to minimize your financial spending.
However, this is considered a dangerous route. Generally, alcohol detox should be handled by medical personnel at a rehab or a detox center. The detox process usually involves withdrawals which may come with mild or life-threating symptoms. Most people cannot complete the detox without medical assistance because of the severity of the withdrawals. If possible, those who want to do the detox should first seek the help of a medical professional.
Does Alcohol Home-Detox Works
Although many people who do home detox for alcoholism usually fail, this doesn’t mean that the process can’t be successful. There are some people who have dome home detox and it actually works. To ensure that self-detox is successful, here are some of the things that you should keep in mind:
- Ensure that there no alcohol drinks in your home. This is an essential and critical step when it comes to self-detox. You can throw the alcoholics drinks away and if they are not so many, you can use it for rubbing alcohol e.g. in erasing stains from clothes, cleaning electronics etc. Note that cutting alcohol off your system will make crave sugary food. Some of the sugar alcohols that you may be tempted to eat are xylitol, sorbitol etc.
- Do not cram a lot of things in your schedule. You need to put more time and focus on the recovery process.
- Seek support from family and friend who might help you in case you end up with serious withdrawal symptoms.
Alcohol addiction is a very serious problem but it is possible to overcome it. During the home detox process, focus on hydrating the body. It’s also important to have an alcohol detox diet that contains a variety of whole foods including vegetables and fruits. Furthermore, don’t forget to take your minerals and vitamins.